Dating back to 1807, the Belle Meade Plantation located just outside of Nashville, Tennessee, was widely known for its horses. The Greek Revival mansion, like many of the buildings here, were built using slave labor, and by 1860 there were more than 136 working here.
The house is still scarred with bullet holes from the Civil War and the Battle of Nashville, and throughout the Belle Meade historic site there is a concerted effort to reconcile the history of this plantation and tell its story through varying perspectives. Today, the Belle Meade Plantation is operated as museum, winery, restaurant, and wedding venue. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.