May 14, 2012

Finlay Bridge in Medicine Hat, Alberta

On May 14, 1908 Finlay Bridge officially opened. The green truss bridge that spans the South Saskatchewan River in Medicine Hat, Alberta is a locally recognized heritage site, and since it was completed over a century ago, it's remained a symbol of the city. At 277 metres long and 10 metres wide, it was the largest bridge in Western Canada when it was built. Few local landmarks have maintained their practical significance and usage for the entirety of their lifetimes, but Finlay Bridge remains an artery to the downtown core to this day.

finlay bridge medicine hat alberta
finlay bridge medicine hat alberta


Over the last few years the bridge has undergone refurbishment, including a complete deck and paint rehabilitation in 2009. The installation of brand new decorative LED lighting above the bridge and along the piers was also completed in 2011. Finlay Bridge is the support structure for the main Shaw Cross Canada fibre optic cable, proving that while the requirements for the bridge have evolved over the years, it's no less relevant today.

Finlay Bridge construction in 1908.
finlay bridge medicine hat alberta



finlay bridge medicine hat alberta
finlay bridge medicine hat alberta

Finlay Bridge postcard ca. 1912


Finlay Bridge ca. 1920s
finlay bridge medicine hat alberta


finlay bridge medicine hat alberta

finlay bridge medicine hat alberta

finlay bridge medicine hat alberta

finlay bridge medicine hat alberta


Finlay Bridge ca. 1940

finlay bridge medicine hat alberta

Finlay Bridge ca. 1940

finlay bridge medicine hat alberta


finlay bridge medicine hat alberta
finlay bridge medicine hat alberta




Finlay Bridge postcard from 1936.



finlay bridge medicine hat alberta

finlay bridge medicine hat alberta


No comments :